Christmas is one of those holidays that just seems to be filled with cheer and wonder. Christmas traditions vary from country to country but one thing is for sure…everybody is excited and ready to have the best house decoration. When we think of Christmas, candles usually come to mind. Candlelight is representative of many things. Peace, serenity, relaxation, and romance are just a few. Everyone loves them; that’s why they’re perfect housewarming gift.
But I bet few of you are aware of the negative effect that candles have. So for anyone who is burning candles in the bedroom with doors closed, this is for you!
Via GoodFullness: “True story: I was working the other day and decided to light one of my beloved Bath and Body Works holiday candles that I’d just scored during their huge seasonal sale. For the first few minutes, I reveled in the awesome, spiced-apple scent while working on the day’s assignments.
But after a few minutes, I started coughing uncontrollably and I felt so lightheaded. As I tried to think of what could be causing it, my eyes wandered to the candle and it hit me — this thing was making me sick. I put the candle out and after about 20 minutes, I felt totally fine. That’s when I knew I had to start researching side-effects of using scented candles. If you’re anything like my candle-loving self, you’re about to be so disappointed in what I found.
While your favorite candles may smell good to you, their chemical makeup could be making you sick. According to MCS-America, most fragranced products contain anywhere from 3,000 to 5,000 different chemicals. Even more alarming is the idea that despite the U.S. National Academy of Science have declared that fragrances should undergo neurotoxicity testing, most of the products on the market have not undergone testing to make sure that they’re safe for humans.
Many of these chemicals have also been identified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) as being potentially hazardous. What makes scented candles so horrible for humans is the exhaust given off by these candles. The exhaust is regularly adding harmful toxins into your home, oftentimes without our knowing. Scented candles are made from paraffin, which is a petroleum-based product.
When burned, aroma-therapy candles can be even more dangerous than your basic scented three-wick. In a 2009 report from South Carolina State University, lead researcher and chemistry professor Dr. Ruhullah Massoudi addressed the risks surrounding candles containing paraffins. “For a person who lights a candle every day for years or just uses them frequently, inhalation of these dangerous pollutants drifting in the air could contribute to the development of health risks like cancer, common allergies, and even asthma.”
When it comes to your cats and dogs, the same toxins and chemical compounds that are toxic for humans to breathe in are doubly as potent for our pets. In addition to benzene, compounds such as Carbon Tetrachloride and lead are often found in the scented wax of many candles or the composition of the candle wicks. All three of these compounds can prove deadly for your cat.
The concentration of these emissions can linger in the air for up to 10 hours after the candle has been lit, increasing the odds of your pet being exposed.”
There you have it. Though they seem safe, frequently lighting a candle may pose a health threat. Next time you want to light a scented candle be more careful… you may expose yourself and your loved ones to toxic chemicals.
What do you think? Do you know that this all-favorite Christmas decoration could cause so much harm?
Scroll down to leave a comment below!
Natalie Dagenhardt is an American conservative writer who writes for Right Journalism! Natalie has described herself as a polemicist who likes to “stir up the pot,” and does not “pretend to be impartial or balanced, as broadcasters do,” drawing criticism from the left, and sometimes from the right. As a passionate journalist, she works relentlessly to uncover the corruption happening in Washington. She is a “constitutional conservative”.